Ten years international capital markets deal experience in structured finance transactions (including bond issuance/securitisation, lending, guarantees and ISDA) and significant engineering experience.
Elizabeth Street Chambers
Year of Admission as an Australian Lawyer – 2003
Year of Admission as a Hong Kong Lawyer – 2010
Year of Admission to the NSW Bar – 2013
- Bachelor of Law (Hons I), University of Sydney
- Bachelor and Masters Degree in Aeronautical Engineering, University of Sydney
- Masters Degree in Biomedical Engineering, University of New South Wales
- PhD in Engineering, University of Sydney
- 2013, New South Wales Bar
- 2010-12, Hong Kong
- 2005-10 London
- 2003-5, Sydney
- Consultant legal advisor (international and domestic banks) legal advice/documentation/dispute resolution
- Common law
- Banking, Finance & Commercial
- Financial Services
- Engineered Product Liability (Bioengineering and Aviation)
- Solicitor, King & Wood Mallesons (formerly Mallesons Stephen Jacques), Jan 2003- Nov 2005
- Senior Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, London, Nov 2005-Dec 2010
- Senior Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Hong Kong, Mar 2010-Dec 2012
- 2013, New South Wales Bar
Legal experience: Will has broad finance and debt capital markets experience, having been involved in drafting and negotiating bond issuance documentation for lead managers and issuers including convertible bonds, covered bonds, medium term note programmes, securitisation (including commercial mortgage-backed transactions (CMBS) and residential mortgage-backed transactions, CDO and CLOs), general debt capital markets, syndicated lending, prime brokerage, global custody arrangements, ISDA terminology, swaps, derivatives and aircraft financing transactions.
Will advised the Bank of England on various issues arising during the financial crisis including in relation to the Special Liquidity Scheme, the Discount Window and the Asset Purchase Facility and other repo programmes.
Will has a number of postgraduate qualifications in engineering (dual qualified in both Aeronautical and Biomedical Engineering). Will was the recipient of the Young Biomedical Engineers Award by the Biomedical College of Engineers Australia, the Australian Society for Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Student Award and the Royal Society of New South Wales Scholarship.
Will has a number of part-time academic appointments. Will teaches remedies, financial services law, transactional law and contract law.
Engineering: Before embarking on a career in law, I was a university researcher in advanced composite materials before obtaining my PhD in engineering and professional engineer (dual qualified in both Aeronautical and Biomedical Engineering). I was the recipient of the Young Biomedical Engineers Award by the Biomedical College of Engineers Australia, the Australian Society for Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Student Award and the Royal Society of New South Wales Scholarship. My PhD research in dental and orthopaedic materials was funded by a Strategic Partnership in Industry Research (SPIRT) Australian Postgraduate Award (Industry) & Scholarship.
• Higgs, W Chapter 11.2 Local Court acting for a debtor, Lawyers Practice Manual New South Wales (Thomson Reuters, 2016).
• Higgs, W Chapter 4.4 Mortgages, Lawyers Practice Manual New South Wales (Thomson Reuters, 2016).
• Higgs, W Chapter 11.6 Liquidation, Lawyers Practice Manual New South Wales (Thomson Reuters, 2016).
• Higgs, W Chapter 11.3 Bankruptcy acting for debtor, Lawyers Practice Manual New South Wales (Thomson Reuters, 2016).
• Higgs, W Chapter 11.4 Bankruptcy acting for creditor, Lawyers Practice Manual New South Wales (Thomson Reuters, 2016).
• Higgs, W Chapter 51 Bankruptcy acting for debtor, Lawyers Practice Manual Queensland (Thomson Reuters, 2016).
• Higgs, W Chapter 53 Bankruptcy acting for creditor, Lawyers Practice Manual Queensland (Thomson Reuters, 2016).
• Higgs, W & Chernishev, A. PPSA and PPS Register, general outline; critical issues and applications to the sale of business. Lawyers Learning For Charity Conference. Eastern Suburbs Law Society, Law Society of New South Wales. (for the Brett Lee Foundation, supporting underprivileged children in India), 29 August 2015.
• Higgs, W & Parker, G. Liability for aircraft components – including case studies – how not to get fatigued!. NSW Branch Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand, 16 July 2015.
• Higgs, W. Demystifying set-off in commercial transactions. Business Law Development Program Webinar, College of Law, 31 March 2015.
• Higgs, W. Uncovering critical issues with the PPSA: can you afford not to register? Autumn Intensive Business Law, College of Law, 27 March 2015.
• Higgs, W & Chernishev, A. Transactions Series: Part 3: Complicated Financing Issues Demystified. Business Law Development Program, College of Law, 7 October 2014.
• Higgs, W. (Chair) Virtual Currencies and Crowdfunding – Keeping abreast of important legal and regulatory issues. Business Law Development Program. College of Law, 17 June 2014.
• Higgs, W. Uncovering Critical Financing Issues in Property and Business Transactions. Specialist Accreditation Conference, Business, Property and Personal Injury, College of Law, 23-24 May 2014, Crowne Plaza Terrigal, Sydney.
• Higgs, W. Restoring confidence in the securitisation and derivatives markets. Law & Financial Markets Review. June 2009, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p342-347.
• Higgs, W & Newton, A. Covering all angles. The Lawyer. 24 September 2007.
• Higgs, W. A moment of serendipity. Journal of Law and Medicine, February, 2004.
• Higgs W, et al. Orthopaedic Receptionist Beware. Combined Meeting of the New Zealand and Australian Orthopaedic Association.
Expert expertise in fields of aeronatical engineering and biomedical engineering, particularly orthopaedic medical device failure and aircraft structural failure including fatigue failure.
• Higgs WAJ, Tong.L, Steven GP. Lateral Buckling Behaviour of Pneumatically Stiffened Reinforced Composite Beams in Bending. Journal of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AlAA). Vol. 39, No. 2, 303-307, February, 2001.
• Duncan, CS; Blimkie, CJR; Kemp, A; Higgs, W; Cowell, CT; Woodhead, H; Briody, IN; Howman-Giles, R Mid-femur geometry and biomechanical properties in 15-to 18-yr-old female athletes Medicine And Science In Sports And Exercise, 34 (4): 673-681 APR 2002.
• Farpour-Lambert NJ, Blimkie CJ, Kemp A, Higgs W, Cowell C, Donaghue K, Braun M. Bone geometry and biomechanical indices in children and adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (lDDM): Influence of exercise. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 15: SA085, Supplement 1, September, 2000.
• Farpour,-Lambert, N., C.J. Blimkie, A. Kemp, W. Higgs, C. Cowell, K. Donaghue, and M. Braun. Exercise, Bone Geometry, Muscle Size and Function In Children With Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (IDDM). Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 33 :5 (Supplement), S276, Abstract # 1558, 2001.
• Higgs WAJ, Lucksanasombool P, Higgs RJ Swain M. Comparison of the Materials Properties of PMMA and Glass-Ionomer Cements for use in Orthopaedic Surgery. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 12 (5) (2001), pp 453-460.
• Higgs W AJ,Lucksanasombool P, Higgs RJ Swain M. A simple method of determining the elastic modulus of acrylic bone cements. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research (Applied Biomaterials) Vol. 58, Issue 2, pp 188-195 (2001).
• Higgs WAJ, Lucksanasombool P, Higgs RJ Swain M. Evaluating Acrylic and Glass-ionomer Cement Strength using the Biaxial Flexure Biomaterials, (2001), Vol.22, No. 12, 1583-1590.
Publications can be provided on request including over 10 international journal publications and over 50 conference presentations, both international and domestic.